Friday, June 19, 2009

INTRODUCTION TO BLOG

Hi, my name is Terry Wolff and the reason I am starting this blog is to get some of my 30 plus years of woodcarving knowledge out in the hands of other carvers or would be carvers and to also get your feedback as well.

I started carving as a professional back in 1976 and continue to do so. My background is in commercial art and electronics. Nice combination right?

Anyway over the years I have accumulated a bit of knowledge and lots of tools. So at this point, I should let you know that I am a traditional carver. Meaning that I mainly use hand tools such as knives, gouges, and chisels. When necessary I will resort to power tools in the roughing out stages of a carving project.

As a professional carver, I have chosen to do what is called for by my customers. I do not necessary feel that this is the best way to go about carving. I think that it is good to experiment with different carving styles and subjects but in the end find the one which suits you best. In other words, as you get into carving you will feel more comfortable with certain styles and subjects and that is where you should direct your energies.

My carvings have ranged from small caricature figurines, bias relief, free standing realistic, stylized, and abstract sculpture, carousel animals, carved signs, burial urns, grave markers, and just about anything else you can think of. You can check out my work at SignCarving.com or at TerryWolff.com to get a feel for the type of work I do.

I live in northern New Mexico just west of the town of Taos and south of Colorado at a place I call the Solar Ranch and rely on the Internet for my lively hood. This is because there isn't anyone out here to support me.

And just because "the Internets" is one of my sources of generating income, I am dedicating this paragraph to promoting my income sources so I can keep things going. So, here it is, besides carving, teaching carving, I sell carving knives (which I make), some wood care products, a couple of books which I have either written or published, The Text Book For Carving Letters and I maintain an on-line solar energy retail business at Solar-Catalog.com.

That is about all you really need to know about me. You have my Web Sites which you can view at your leisure. So in future blogs I will be concentrate on things that have to do with woodcarving. Things such as styles, techniques, tools, finishes, and woods for carving.

So if you have a topic you would like some information on please send me an e-mail and I will post it on this blog and if I remember, I will send you an email announcing the post.

Terry R. Wolff

1 comment:

  1. Jim I am sorry that I have taken so long to return a message. Turns out that Winter is busier than I thought. Anyway no matter what you choose to carve or what tools you choose to work with, the main thing is to do what you love. The basic tools which I had mentioned are going to set you back about $300. Since you are working with a pocket knife, I would recommend that your first investment would be to get some kind of detail knife, it will make life a bit easier. TR

    ReplyDelete