Over time I have acquired several sets of these basic tools. Some are redundant and others are of various sizes, some smaller and one larger.
Here is my personal recommendation for the Basic Carving Set for both the beginner and for anyone who carves with traditional carving tools. I will list them by tool type, size, and sweep for the gouges...
- V-Parting Tool - 1/2", 60 degree angle
- Gouge - 1" wide, #3 sweep
- Gouge - 1/2" wide, #5 sweep
- Gouge- 5/8" wide, # 9 sweep
- Magic Knife - 1" wide blade
- Detail Knife - straight blade
- Wood is Good #20 Mallet
Here are a few other recommendations for once you have mastered the basics. These are tools which I have found quite useful...
- Skew Chisel - 3/4" wide blade
- Carvers Chisel - 3/4" wide blade
- Fishtail Gouge
- Detail Knife - curved blade
- Detail Knife - french curved blade
- Crock Blade Knife - used by northwest Indian carvers
- Draw Knife
But as I had mentioned, that for most of you, 90% of all the carving work you do will involve the Basic Carving Tools which are mentioned here. Get these tools and learn them well.
Terry R. Wolff
See samples of my carvings